[mythtv-users] playbacks are skipping, PVR-350

Steven Schaefer sschaefer1 at woh.rr.com
Fri Jan 14 22:39:42 EST 2005

For the past couple weeks my playbacks (Hauppauge PVR-350) have been skipping.
This started to occur soon after I upgraded from ivtv-0.1.9 to ivtv-0.2.0-rc3a
However, even when I revert back to the ivtv-0.1.9 the condition still
exists, even for recordings made with the ivtv-0.1.9

I'm using MythTV-0.16
I don't have the time to be pulling the card out and sticking back in
windows to see if the problem persists, but is this a possible hardware
failure?

Another thought I had was, that my hard drive ( a Wester Digital 160 GB IDE
) is typically 80% full, could I need to defrag the drive? I've made sure
that DMA is enabled in Linux for the partition.

I should mention that skipping occurs at regular intervals ~30 seconds, and
skips roughly 1-2 seconds of video each time.

Correct me if I'm wrong, if the system were having trouble writing the
recording stream fast enough to the hard drive, would MythTV intentionally
skip frames to accomodate the slow system response?  I guess thinking about
it, the system would simply sample the next frame to be compressed when the
system returns... no the card has a hardware encoder so the system would
have to accept the full data stream?