[mythtv-users] Re: Re: Re: New Mac Mini

Michael J. Sherman msherman at dsbox.com
Fri Jan 14 11:00:34 EST 2005

Just some more notes about the mini Mac as a frontend:

1) I compiled MythTV CVS on my iMac G4 last night; worked perfectly.
Check the archives for a link to a writeup on how to do it.  My iMac
is a 1.25 GHz G4, the same exact chip in the mini Mac, and I was
watching full-screen TV with no problems at all.

2) Still need to figure out a good remote control solution.  There is
no serial port, so some sort of USB IR-input dongle is needed.

3) It comes standard with DVI-out (and a VGA adapter), and you can buy
the $19 adapter to get Composite RCA and S-video out.  I'll be using a
VGA->RGB converter so I can hook it up to my HDTV.  I use an Audio
Authority converter now and it works very well.

4) Don't forget that you also get OS X and iLife and all that
wonderful software.  It's what a computer is supposed to be.  I've
been using Linux since 1993 and I just got my iMac last March - I fell
in love with it.  OS X is quite incredible.  I highly recommend this
machine, not only for a sweet Myth frontend, but just as a new
computer to try out a great system.