[mythtv-users] commercially-produced mythboxes -- an idea

Maverick mavantix at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 02:15:41 EST 2005

While I do agree that a reference design would be fantastic,
especially for newcomers, but my point is: What can an unsupported
$1000 piece of hardware do someone that they can't just do for
themselves? Current PVR makers (Tivo, Replay, etc) have an advantage
software/setup wise because all the hardware for each model is the
same. Obviously us Myth'ers don't have that advantage, but we do have
the hardware database as a reference of what has worked for other
people. I think what might be more of a contribution to the community
is a current listing for "buy this hardware, use this setup guide &
scripts" and you'll have a working machine, baring that you can
assemble the hardware. Quite frankly, it's highly likely that if they
can't assemble the hardware and install the software, they will goto
the local electronics store, spend $200 on a tivo, buy a lifetime
subscription, and leave the other $500 in the bank.

I just don't see an advantage in marketing pre-assembled or "canned"
hardware to geeks who have the knowledge to make their own exactly the
way they want.

I do think a list of exactly what to buy if you want certain features
would be great. Maybe even worth having a page on mythtv.org about it.
Could even have different "models" if you will at various price
points. The $500 model would have basic hardware (350), and the $1000
model could have the HDTV added, etc.

Just my 2 cents,
-Kenneth