[mythtv-users] Which Distribution?

Scott Alfter mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org
Thu Jan 13 22:10:48 EST 2005

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 11:18:03AM -0500, Craig Partin top-posted (grr):
> I use Gentoo.  Aside from being a nice distro generally, it handles
> the dependencies well for mythtv.  The portage system is killer.  Once
> you have a stable base, you just type "emerge mythtv" then wait for
> three days. ;)
>
> Downside is compiling everything manually takes forever.

When you use Gentoo, distcc is your friend.  You can farm out most compiles
across your LAN to other machines.  At work, I started building a new
install for a P!!! that got a bit borked.  The install was running in a
32-bit chroot on an Athlon 64 box (running Gentoo for AMD64), but distcc
spread the compile across three other machines (the aforementioned P!!!, a
Duron, and an Athlon XP).  Building X.org, KDE, KDevelop, PostgreSQL, and
some other stuff I don't recall offhand took just a few hours.

At home, the MythTV box splits compile jobs with the file server.  Building
MythTV and several plugins (MythDVD, MythVideo, MythWeather, and MythWeb)
takes maybe 10-15 minutes.

  _/_