[mythtv-users] Not using both tuners to full effect?

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 18:01:56 EST 2005

> I have my myth box set up to overrun recordings by 4 minutes, which is
> usually long enough to catch any normal overruns in the scheduling.
> However, if I have two shows set to record, even on different
> channels, and those shows are contiguous in time then the 4 minute
> overrun is ignored and the tuner recording show one stops exactly at
> the scheduled end time and then immediately switches to record show
> two, leaving the second tuner unused.
>
> The 2 minutes I set to record before the beginning of the schedule
> also seems to be ignored when this happens.
>
> Is this normal behaviour? I'd prefer the overrun time to be honoured
> even if it means the box uses both tuners to record for the overlap
> time.

This was covered in detail recently. Basiaclly, mythtv will only force
the 2nd tuner to be used if you have added the 4 minute overrun onto
the _program_ recording setting. It doesn't do it if the overrun is a
global setting. There was much discussion on the pros and cons of this
in the earlier thread - see
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/99544?search_string=2nd%20tuner