[mythtv-users] [Newbie] Questions about the future

Julian cerebro70 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 13 13:54:33 EST 2005

Hi all,

I am just started to look into building my own PVR and
this project looks amazing!  I am now facing what I
feel the most critical decision regarding harware
components.  Should I get for the Hauppauge
WinTV-PVR-350 or the pcHDTV3000? I would
wholeheartedly go for the HDTV card if I knew that I
could use it in the future.  I understand that it has
no QAM support for set-top boxes yet, but even if it
does, that would not work  for HD encrypted feeds.  If
I wanted to get the encrypted feeds I would need a
composite HD card, and those are very expen$ive (and
still may not work with some cable boxes)!  So I ask
the users here:

1) What is the best thing to do so I can record HDTV
today and in the post-broadcast flag future?

2) Is it inevitable that someone will "configure" the
drivers of HD cards to use Myth effectively or must we
settle for ASTC/NSTC signal quality?

3)Finally, if "the Flag" is present in a broadcast,
can't it be ignored by the Myth software and still
read the HD feed?

Thanks in advance,
Julian

=====
Live simply so others may simply live.

-Ghandi

Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate.
"Entities should not be multiplied unneccesarily"

-William of Occam