[mythtv-users] FW: New Source Forge Project MythStreamTV

Bob Cottingham bob at bobnvic.com
Thu Jan 13 10:36:38 EST 2005

David Whyte said:
> I have to say, WMV2 seems to be the better codec for me.  I can run it
> quite happily at 2000Kbit/s but I have chosen 1000/320 (video/audio) and I
> am quite happy for my LAN.  Infact the Celeron 1.0Ghz machine that is
> viewing it is struggling at somem points.  The Myth machine is running at
> around 70-75% CPU usage when transcoding, regardless of the bit rates or
> codec chosen.

If you are just using it on your local LAN to view content on your windows
boxes, I would think that the best solution would typically be using the
dsmyth directshow filters to stream the video using the mythtv backend.
The only issue I would expect would be on some 802.11b networks, depending
on how much traffic you have on it, or if you are talking about HDTV.  I
would expect far less CPU usage and better quality.  Mythweb can already
support dsmyth for a nice interface.

MythStream seem better suited to streaming your myth video over the
Internet I would think.

Bob C