[mythtv-users] commercially-produced mythboxes -- an idea

Ian hindumagic at telus.net
Wed Jan 12 23:43:02 EST 2005

Maverick wrote:

>>We have no desire to provide software support (or deal with zap2it
>>

>I think you answered your own question right there. Someone who is
>interested in spending $1000 to record HDTV, and who doesn't have
>enough knowledge/experience to build their own Myth box, will want
>service, support and a warranty. I believe that's one reason TiVo has
>been successful, my mom can use it and if she has a question, they
>have a number to call. MythTV isn't "my mom" kind of simple, just
>trying to have her login to a website and sign up for zap2it would far
>exceed her abilities...
>
>Maybe I misunderstood your target market,
>-Kenneth

Dude, you didn't read far enough.

Later on he says, "Then you, as knowledgeable mythtv admins can turn
around and offer your consulting services to prospective interested
parties to help them set up the mythbox (and will let you instruct them
in setting up their own personal account at zap2it, and explain how the
surveys work, etc.)."

In other words, you could turn around and resell it along with your
support.  Or sell your services and the box at cost, or do it all for
free and they only pay for the hardware - whatever!  I think that it is
a cool idea.

In fact, I like the idea of a "reference design".  Hardware that has
already been deemed the best combination for a mythbox packaged up along
with the inital install and burn in.  Could offer some options such as
multiple tuners, bigger disks, and so on...

I know that many people agonize over what hardware to get - look at all
the questions on this list.  I know that I did and I certainly ended up
with more work than I planned once I tried to put all mine together and
get all drivers working together nicely.  Admittedly, I went a harder
route with a streamlined Gentoo install (still working on it - heh).

Hell, newbies on list might opt just to pick up one of these
"preapproved" setups - could link to it directly from the mythtv site if
it is a truly altruistic offer.  At least they won't be bitten by
unexpected problems such as a PVR-250MCE requiring patches, messing with
lirc, and so on.  I'd buy one (assuming it looks good and specs are
nice) if I hadn't already sunk my $1000 building my own from scratch.

Also, if they source everything at cheaper bulk prices, it would be the
best bang for your buck.  Most of us are stuck with buying parts retail
or reusing old hardware.

So far the only negative points I have are:
1) you're stuck with the hardware offered.
2) if you aren't using one yourself, it makes it more difficult to
administer someone else's (recover from catastrophic disk crash, for
example)

Ian.