[mythtv-users] EPIA M10000+PVR-350+NO TvOut = slow?

frutillar at comcast.net frutillar at comcast.net
Wed Jan 12 16:29:05 EST 2005

Hi.

Another thing I am wondering about is with respect to the performance of MythTV on an EPIA M10000 mobo.  I can go to watch LiveTV, but I only get to see one frame every so often... very, very, very choppy.  No sound also, but I am assuming that the sound issue may be related to the video issue.

I do not have TvOut setup yet, so I am watching MythTV on my monitor still. (Next step after troubleshooting a few minor issues will be to turn this on).

When MythTV is on the menu (no LiveTV), "top" reports around 3-4% CPU load.  However, when I watch LiveTV (the choppy live tv) top reports around 98-99% CPU usage.  I did tell MythTV to use MPEG-2 through the PVR-350 when decoding (ie capturing from the cable feed), but it seems that the other half of the equation, ie watching the video stream, is eating up all the CPU.

KEY QUESTIONS:  Is this normal?  I believe this is not correct, but I just want to verify with others out there with a similar setup.  If it is not normal, any thoughts on how I can troubleshoot this?

My setup:

EPIA M10000
PVR-350 w/ grey-top/dark-bottom remote
Mandrake 10.1 (2.6.8.1-12mdk)