[mythtv-users] Re: Toshiba Satellite as kitchen tv

Mark J. Small msmall at eastlink.ca
Wed Jan 12 16:15:12 EST 2005

On January 12, 2005 03:56 pm, Mike Frisch wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 12:36:22PM -0700, Jack Burghardt wrote:
> > I have Toshiba Satellite with 475 mhz K6-2 cpu 196 mb, ati video car that
> > supports xv will it be enough to act as frontend.
>
> I seriously doubt it'll have enough horsepower, but there's no harm in
> trying.

It could work, given the proper recording settings.  My frontend is a Celeron
433 with 256 MB.  It handles my mpeg2 recordings just fine, but was choking
on some mpeg4 stuff.

You'll probably have to recompile to get things to work.  I think there is
something in the docs about needing MMX/SSE for the default install.  Check
the docs, I think there is something there.

Mark