[mythtv-users] Will this Sabrent Card and it's remote work with MythTV?

Jeff Simpson llcooljeff at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 14:23:20 EST 2005

I got the hauppauge PVR-350 card for $170. Using just that card I got
a working myth system just using my normal PC. I set up X to run two
sessions at once, and while the normal X won't display if it's not the
current X session, myth's tv output works fine when it's not selected.
That's a much cheaper way of getting into myth on a budget - I'll just
move the frotend to a new PC when I find a good deal on one that I
like (maybe an xbox, maybe a mini-itx or something.

But the backend with a hauppauge card runs stable and doesn't take up
a lot of CPU at all for normal operation, I just run it on my desktop
with no problems (except that live TV skips a little when I'm emerging
world, transcoding a few files and downloading a ton of stuff)

 - Jeff

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 11:57:20 -0500, Dewey Smolka <dsmolka at gmail.com> wrote:
> Do yourself a big favor and spring for a Hauppage card. It's a breeze
> to get up and running. You can save money on other components.
>
> With a hardware-encoding card you don't need as much processing power,
> which means even a P-3 700 is enough. You can pick one of these up for
> around $150. You can also save by getting an older video card -- I use
> an nvidia Geforce 2. You can get that piece for a song.
>
> There's also great deals to be had on hard drives -- I saw a 160 GB
> Maxtor drive in Staples the other day for $60 (after $40 mail-in
> rebate).
>

> On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 09:21:24 -0500, Tim Smoot <smoot_it at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Yeah, I know try to go cheap and you get what you pay for!
> >
> > I just want to get started, and am on a limited budget!  As we all are I am
> > sure!
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Sm00ter

email me if you want a gmail invite, I have some invites