[mythtv-users] Re: Auto-shutdown question

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 21:41:11 EST 2005

>I'd like to configure my mythbox to automatically turn off. Noise,
>heat, and so on. I have a dedicated mythbox, and a second machine that
>serves as email/web server.
>
>I tend to use mythweb (running on the web server) to schedule shows.
>Obviously, if the master backend runs on the mythbox, a
>mythweb-scheduled show won't trigger a wakeup. So I was wondering if I
>could do something like follows:
>
>Master backend on web server, never turns off. No capture card, either.
>Slave backend on mythbox, turns off; is woken by master backend (WOL)
>when recordings are due.
>
>It's a little convoluted, but should work, right?

You could use nvram-wakeup. This lets the backend shut down and set a
wake-up time to start up again based on the recording schedule. Have a
look through the gossamer list archive to find info on this. The
drawbacks I have found with this are when the front and backends are
on the same box, and that the box may be turned off when you want to
schedule a recording over mythweb from work etc (I suppose that could
be solved with WOL). Apart from that, this works really well for me.