[mythtv-users] Re: New Mac Mini

Magnus Meinfretr stinkfart at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 18:42:04 EST 2005

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 16:28:30 -0500, Mike Frisch <mfrisch at isurfer.ca> wrote:

> At 1.25GHz or 1.42GHz, my guess is that it does *not* have enough
> horsepower to decode HDTV.

What you forget is this is a 1.25GHz PowerPC G4.  This is not a
Pentium 4 or an Athlon.  Don't fall into the mental trap of thinking
the GHz ratings even compare.

This is probably (conservatively) at least as fast as a 2GHz Pentium 4
for all intents and purposes.  Any code that makes good use of the
Altivec instructions could very well be beyond current x86 performance
potential.

The DVI port should, just as with other Apple products, connect
directly to the DVI port on most modern HDTV monitors.  And OS X
should properly detect the monitor and offer all of the available
resolutions.  I've not yet run Linux on a new world Mac so I don't
know how well this would work under Linux.

I'm very interested in this box and I'll probably get it regardless of
whether or not I can run Myth on it.