[mythtv-users] Are either of these tuners viable for use?

Maarten mythtv at ultratux.org
Tue Jan 11 04:47:06 EST 2005

On Tuesday 11 January 2005 06:24, Adam Felson wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 22:26 +0100, Maarten wrote:
> > On Monday 10 January 2005 21:27, Tim Smoot wrote:
> > > Hey all,

> > I use bt878 cards, they'll work fine...   ...IF your CPU has the power.
> > As it is, I _seriously_ doubt that an Eden 533 can handle it, not even
> > when just using rtjpeg...  So no luck there.
>
> I never did get two bt878 cards to work without hiccups.  I upped the
> CPU to an athlon 3000 (333mhz fsb) in the hope of running three dumb
> cards, but couldn't even handle two.

Hm.  That's a shame.  Here I have a perfectly working two-card bttv setup.
System specs:
Athlon XP 2600, FSB overclocked from 200 to 233, 256 MB Ram.
Mythtv specs:
Recording directlyin mpeg4, rez 480x480 at 2600 Kbps. No recording filters, only
deint on playback.
This system has been recording two channels simultaneously since a couple of
months. I _very_ rarely see or hear hiccups, and if I do it's often my
frontend that can't really cope.
But it needed a lot of tweaking and testing initially.

No, an Athlon 3000 should have coped fine.  Maybe you went overboard and
recorded at full PAL resolution, or something ?  Or your signal strength is /
was below par (I had to buy an antenna amplifier myself).

> Pentium4's with their amazing FSB speed might do better.

Don't believe the hype. Pay more for less ?

Maarten