[mythtv-users] Are either of these tuners viable for use?

Adam Felson a.f.6 at pobox.com
Tue Jan 11 00:24:37 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 22:26 +0100, Maarten wrote:
> On Monday 10 January 2005 21:27, Tim Smoot wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I have built the system up and getting ready to start installing the
> > OS/etc.
> >
> > Question is:
> >
> > I have 2 tuner cards, and I am not sure which one (if either) would be a
> > viable option.
> >
> > Card #1 = ATI All In Wonder Pro PCI (OLD!) but it is in good shape!
>
> I have heard that ATI AIW cards will not work with myth. But I'm not sure.
>
> > Card #2 = CyberExtreme Bt878 based card with remote, FM/etc.
>
> I use bt878 cards, they'll work fine...   ...IF your CPU has the power.
> As it is, I _seriously_ doubt that an Eden 533 can handle it, not even when
> just using rtjpeg...  So no luck there.

I never did get two bt878 cards to work without hiccups.  I upped the
CPU to an athlon 3000 (333mhz fsb) in the hope of running three dumb
cards, but couldn't even handle two.  I later added two pvr250s and
retained one bt878.  The bt878 for livetv still isn't perfect; there are
occasional hiccups.

Pentium4's with their amazing FSB speed might do better.