[mythtv-users] OT: speakers question

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 17:00:43 EST 2005

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 15:53:06 -0500, Brian Stults <bstults at crim.ufl.edu> wrote:
<snip>
> I was planning to buy 2 bookshelf speakers with 5-1/4" woofers and 7/8"
> tweeters (KLH-911B).  Then I saw a 6 piece set that was cheaper (KLH
> HTA-9906).  It looks like the same sub-woofer, but the 5 satellites have
> only 4" woofers and 5/8" tweeters.  Assuming they are all of the same
> level of quality, which would output better sound?  The 2 larger
> speakers, or the 4 (or 5) smaller speakers?  This is primarily for
> DVD/TV, but occasionally for music.  It's in a family/dining room that
> is about 15'x20'.

typically larger speakers produce a more 'full' sound.  however, it's
all a matter of taste.  i can't really tell you what sounds good to
you.  you have to 'listen' to them and determine if they sound good
enough for you.  try a home theater store or a dedicated audio store.
sometimes even places like Best Buy or Circuit City will have sound
rooms where you can listen to several different audio setups with
different speakers.  then maybe you can compare the KLH speakers with
some other bookshelf speakers or even a larger set of KLH.
you have to be the judge of what sounds good.