[mythtv-users] Working setup: WinTV Nova USB (DVB) + Xbox

James Poyser james.poyser at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 16:33:44 EST 2005

Hey all,

Thought i'd just let you know that I've just got my myth setup up and
running.  The backend is an old AMD K6-2 450Mhz, 256Mb / 250Gb and
I've got an Xbox as the frontend.  I'm running a Win TV Nova USB which
is a DVB tuner and everything's pretty much ok - the backend uses just
5% processor time when watching live tv or recording - pretty
impressive given the spec of the pc!

It's built on Fedora Core 3, but with kernel 2.6.10 compiled without
DVB support - i then got the latest dvb drivers from cvs and compiled
them (not patched the kernel yet).  I had to go down this route as the
drivers that shipped with Fedora were too troublesome and rendered the
DVB tuner unusable (errors along the lines of ttusb_process_muxpack:
cc discontinuity and various other ttusb errors).

Everything's pretty much ok now, but NFS is giving me some grief -
i've got a permissions problem that I just can't shift - it's driving
me mad.  Also, as mentioned in a previous post, I'm trying to get UK
DVB digital radio working and recording to MP3...

Not too bad for my first attempt at Linux - i've been 100% windows for
years but thought I'd take the leap and I must say I've been nothing
but impressed so far.  Don't think I can quite bring myself around to
wiping XP from my desktop, but give it time ;-)

Thanks to all the guys who helped make myth - I'd really like to get
up to speed with programming Linux and muck in and help out (i've got
many years of windows programming under my belt).  If anyone's got any
good links to get me going I'd appreciate it!

Cheers,

James.