[mythtv-users] OT: speakers question

Brian Stults bstults at crim.ufl.edu
Mon Jan 10 15:53:06 EST 2005

Hello,

I have an old Denon stereo receiver that I want to start using again.  I
don't have any speakers, and I am on a budget, so I plan on buying some
cheap bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer (for now).  My question is this...

I was planning to buy 2 bookshelf speakers with 5-1/4" woofers and 7/8"
tweeters (KLH-911B).  Then I saw a 6 piece set that was cheaper (KLH
HTA-9906).  It looks like the same sub-woofer, but the 5 satellites have
only 4" woofers and 5/8" tweeters.  Assuming they are all of the same
level of quality, which would output better sound?  The 2 larger
speakers, or the 4 (or 5) smaller speakers?  This is primarily for
DVD/TV, but occasionally for music.  It's in a family/dining room that
is about 15'x20'.

BTW, I won't be able to use the center speaker as a true center speaker
since my old receiver doesn't support that.  Also, the subwoofer will
use speaker-level inputs.

Thanks.