[mythtv-users] OT.. fan suggestions

Evan Burrows eburrows at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 10:30:19 EST 2005

I used one of my old computers I had lying arond that my dad gave me a
few years ago to build by myth box.  It was sony vaio rx580 or
something like that 1.8 P4.  I was looking into getting a new case
because the only way i can fit it into my entertainment center was to
lie it on its side. But by doing that the weight would cause the dvd
drive to jam (odd considering I have no problem opening up my other
optical drive).  But anyways I found a nice cheap antec case on newegg
to realize the dimersions were a little too large for my entertainment
center and all the other htpc cases were more than i cared to spend.

The case I have is also garbage because it is small and only has a
power supply fan and a cpu fan.  So the fans continuously run. I
believe the noisy culprit is the pwoer supply fan so I took it out and
cleaned it just to make sure it wasn't gunked up resulting in the
noise.  Well that didn't product better results so I am looking into
replacing the 120mm fan for the power supply.  Any suggestions on what
to pick?  I already have an order going into newegg this week so
preferably a fan from them would be best rather than having to pay
another shipping fee.

Like I said it is a P4 1.8, onboard nic and soundcard, using 1 pvr350
for video capture/live tv and runnig x on my tv.  So it would be nice
to have a variable speed fan because my box shouldn't be taxed all
that much all the time.  I am looking for something pretty cheap and
just want it to try and cut down on the sound a little (no flashy
LED's, etc.  Just a cheap fan that does the job)

Any input would be appreciated
thanks,
Evan