[mythtv-users] SOLVED: skipping/pausing/buffer issues in MythVideo with mplayer

David W Davis davidw.davis at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 23:47:43 EST 2005

I'm running mythtv 0.16 on fc3 installed with Jarod's Guide.  My
videos are on a windows share and are mounted via Samba.  Whenever I
tried to watch something, I was having major skipping/buffer issues.
I knew it wasn't a network issue because I could watch these files
from other windows machines with no issues.  I know my frontend was up
to the task, being an Athlon XP+ 2800 with 512 MB ram.  I didn't have
any issues playing recorded tv shows.  All this time I thought I was
having issues because my .asoundrc wasn't set up properly or it was a
problem with ALSA.  Updated ALSA with no luck and messed around with
my .asoundrc.  While I was getting sound in everything else (except
MythMusic which I'm still working on), I was only having major
skipping issues in MythVideo.  So I updated mplayer and tried updating
codecs (Is there an easy way to update codecs in linux?  I only really
updated xvidcore since most of my rips are xvid encoded.  By easy I
mean utilizing apt-get).  I also tried letting mythfrontend run suid
root as suggested on Jarod's guide.  No effect.  Finally I decided to
try another player.  Installed Xine and everything works like a champ.
 I don't know what the issue was, but using another player worked for
me.  Just thought I would let others know in case they were battling
with this issue.

DaveD