[mythtv-users] Talking to more than one backend

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Sun Jan 9 20:10:54 EST 2005

On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 01:39:20PM -0800, Bruce Markey wrote:
> >    a) Command line options on mythfrontend to say which backend to talk
> >       to, or perhaps more simply, which mysql.txt file to use to say which
>
> The files is searched for in . , $HOME/.mythtv/ then
> /usr/local/share/mythtv or where ever it was installed. I have
> several test DBs on different machines so I've created per
> hostname directories in my home dir, each with a mysql.txt for
> that host. I cd into the directory then run any executable
> (usually mythbackend, mythfrontend or mythfilldatabase).
> "mythconverg" is a variable that only exists in mysql.txt so
> you can even have a different database name in the same mysql
> server instance then a dir with the mysql.txt to connect to
> that DB.

Right, but how do you get it to connect to the database server on
other than port 3306?  Is there an undocumented field in mysql.txt
to set that?

Remember that when connecting to a remote database over an ssh tunnel,
you will not be on port 3306.   Well, not if that port is already in
use on your own system, which it is.