[mythtv-users] Re: vmlinuz and rpm db4 problems (FC1, ATrpms)

Randy Winchester randy at MIT.EDU
Sun Jan 9 17:37:53 EST 2005

Mike Jasper <e394td at comcast.net> wrote:

Hi Mike,

I feel for you!  I just want you to know that you're not the only one
with this problem recently.  I did an apt-get dist-upgrade on Friday
that completely blew away the FC1 installation on my laptop.  It
destroyed the rpm databases, removed synaptic, and demolished X11.  I
had all of the exact error messages that you did.  I messed with it for
a long time, checked for info on line and in chat rooms, and finally
gave it up and installed FC3.  I probably could have spent days or weeks
figuring this one out.  Sometimes it helps to know when to give up.

> Hi,
>
> I am running FC1 with ATrpms packages.  I have two problems, but the
> second is the most serious at the moment, since I can't do anything
> related to rpm or apt-get.  Thank you for any help!
>
> --Mike
>

> 1) I was fooling around with ALSA tonight and uninstalled the
> kernel-module-alsa package.  I tried reinstalling it (also the alsa-kmdl
> package), but got an error like this:

>    kernel-module-alsa-2.4.22-1.2199.nptl: Depends:
> /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2199.nptl but it is not installable
>
> I have /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2199.nptl_52.rhfc1.at.  I tried making a
> symlink to it named vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2199.nptl, but that didn't help.
> What gives?  Even if I fix problem #2 below, I still have no ALSA.
>

> 2) I did an apt-get dist-upgrade tonight and now my rpm database seems
> to be hosed.  Tried finding a solution on Google but didn't come up with
> much.  Here's what I get why I try to do anything related to rpm:
>
> # rpm -qa | grep kmdl
> rpmdb: Berkeley DB library configured to support only DB_PRIVATE
> environments
> error: db4 error(22) from dbenv->open: Invalid argument
> error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Invalid argument (22)
> error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm

Randy Winchester <randy at mit.edu>
Team Leader, MIT Cable Television, http://web.mit.edu/mitcable
Information Services and Technology (IS&T)
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
MIT 9-050, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139
Office: 617-253-7431, Fax: 617-253-8000