[mythtv-users] can't load nvidia 6106 or 6111 modules, and 6629 fails (FC3, ATrpms)

Doug Larrick doug at ties.org
Sun Jan 9 14:43:31 EST 2005

Mike Jasper wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have blown away my FC1 install and am starting fresh with FC3 using
> Jarod's guide.  I am unable to install a working Nvidia module, though.
>  I tried 6629 and the module was loaded successfully, but the system
> just hangs at the Nvidia splash screen on bootup.  I then removed all
> traces of 6629 and installed 6111, but I can't get the nvidia module to
> load.  Same problem with 6106.  When I do '/sbin/modprobe nvidia', I get
> the "FATAL: Module nvidia not found" error.  If I do the exact same
> steps with 6629 the module is loaded just fine, but I have the splash
> screen hanging problem.
>
> Thanks for any help.  I have a GeForce MX 440 graphics card.  Here is
> what I currently have installed:

6111 needs a patched kernel 2.6.9 in order to load properly
(re-exporting a symbol).

6629 misbehaves on some older graphics cards (like MX440) for some
people; nVidia has acknowledged it and will fix it for next time.

So you need to back off to 6111, and either patch your 2.6.9 kernel or
back off to an earlier one.  You might try the nVidia forum for details,
www.nvnews.net

-Doug