[mythtv-users] Re: Suid root, but mythtv complains that it isn't.

Doug Larrick doug at ties.org
Sun Jan 9 09:12:26 EST 2005

Tom Hughes wrote:
> The problem appears to be that the kernel now implements setuid
> properly so that it changes the UID of the process rather than just
> the current thread so it isn't possible to have a privileged thread
> anymore.
>
> Basically the whole scheme only worked because threads on linux
> are effectively processes at the kernel level and certain system
> calls didn't properly take account of that, including setuid.

Good to know.  What kernel is this?  Matt Zimmerman (rightly) complains
about the security of the current implementation, as well.

I have a replacement scheme in mind that creates a realtime-priority
thread for playback at startup before dropping privs, and then reuses
that thread for all playback.  I just need to find the time to work on it.

-Doug