[mythtv-users] OT: Can IDE and SCSI mix?

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sat Jan 8 03:30:07 EST 2005

I currently have a 2.6.9-ac14 system running this very minute with:

3 IDE hard drives
1 SATA hard drive
1 Numerous SCSI devices hosted from an old Adaptec AHA3940 controller

And it's running mythtv too (as my test box).

Though that system doesn't strictly have a _real_ SCSI drive in it, I too
have in the past freely mixed SCSI and (parallel) IDE hard drives all the
way back at least to the 2.2 kernel series without ever encountering any
problems.

Note that SATA drives also use the SCSI layer so even though they're IDE
by "heritage" they operate as SCSI in Linux.  My SATA drive shows up as
/dev/sda1.

So I second Lonnie's conclusion doubting any potential problems.

  -Mike

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005, Lonnie Borntreger wrote:

> On Sat, 2005-01-08 at 00:25 -0600, Greg Mitchell wrote:
> > I could see SATA and SCSI having problems coexisting, since Linux seems
> > to treat SATA and SCSI similarly.  At least in Gentoo, my SATA drive
> > comes up as /dev/sd0.
> >
> > Note that I'm not saying it's impossible to run SATA and SCSI, just that
> > it wouldn't surprise me that there might be problems.
>
> Not too long ago I used two SCSI tapes, 3 IDE HDs, an IDE CD/RW (using a
> SCSI layer), and a USB drive (using a SCSI layer) all at the same time.
> I used SCSI and IDE together as far back as kernel 0.99pl13.  I highly
> doubt there are problems with SATA and SCSI.
>
> Lonnie