[mythtv-users] Re: mythtv-users Digest, Vol 24, Issue 31

Nick Morrott pvr at insidethex.co.uk
Fri Jan 7 05:07:57 EST 2005

> I don't understand what the "Input Connections" window is setting,
> or to say the same thing, what is it trying to tell me?

The 'Input connections' page is where you tie your hardware devices' inputs,
to your programming database(s)/video sources.

> I have the entries:
>
>    [HDTV:/dev/dtv1](Antenna-0)->Antenna
>    [MPEG:/dev/video0](Tuner0)->Antenna

This basically says that your hardware devices (/dev/xxx) have certain input
interfaces (Antenna-0/Tuner0), which in turn are connected to certain
Programming/video sources (Antenna). On the 250, you could set up a new
composite or SVideo based input, and connect that to a video source with
cable programming data, for instance.

On my system which has a PVR350 and a Nova-T DVB card, I have 3 video
sources - Digital OTA, Analogue OTA, and Digital Cable. These in turn are
connected to DVBInput (for Digital on the Nova-T), Tuner0 (for analogue on
the 350) and Composite0 (for composite connection to cable box on 350).

> the /dev/dtv1 and /dev/video0 are just where we find the pcHDTV and
PVR-250
> card.

These represent the hardware devices you have installed on the system.

> But what is this Antenna-0 and Tuner0 business trying to tell me?

These are the actual driver inputs that MythTV connects to when accessing
your hardware. On my PVR350, I have Tuner0, Composite0-4 and SVideo0-4 - you
just need to make sure that MythTV is 'hooked-up' to the correct input. The
same with your HDTV card - the Antenna-0 is the driver interface that MythTV
can access for HDTV. When cards only have a single input, it seems like the
middle step is extraneous, but when you have a card with several different
inputs (aerial, comp,svid) you need to be able to link the correct inputs
and video sources together.

> Confused.

So was I (still am on a lot of things!) but it starts to make sense
eventually. Simplest way I think of it is:

(generic)   Physical Devices    --> Device Inputs    --> Video sources
(example) /dev/video0            --> Tuner0                --> Analogue

Let me know if this makes things any clearer.

Cheers,
Nick