[mythtv-users] Stumped by "Audio buffer overflow" errors on frontend

bmerrill Merrill bmerrill at sfcn.org
Fri Jan 7 02:54:45 EST 2005

I am a gentoo user and recently upgraded from the official MythTV 0.16 ebuild to a myth cvs ebuild.  Since doing so, I am unable to get any sound on my remote frontend when playing recorded files or watching live tv.  My setup is as follows:
PCHDTV HD-3000
Kernel 2.6.9
Intel ICH5 onboard audio compiled as module "snd_intel8x0"
KDE 3.3.2

I record HDTV broadcasts only and besides the missing audio in Myth, everything functions as expected.  Sounds in KDE play correctly and if I the .nuv files on Windows or Xine HD they play correctly with sound.  When using the Gentoo 0.16 ebuild, audio worked but was plagued by a half second delay.

Here are a few of the things I've tried to fix it:
1. Setup-> General-> AudioOutputDevice set to "ARTS:default".  Setting it to ARTS:hw:0,0 or anything else results in a missing audio warning.

2. Recompiled mythfrontend several times with various combinations of arts, alsa and oss support with the only result that if arts isn't compiled I can't find any AudioOutputDevice that will work.

3. Tried "killall artsd", but the arts daemon just automagically restarts itself.

Anyway with the cvs ebuild, running mythfrontend outputs a continuous stream of "Audio buffer overflow, audio data lost!" message which I would guess is somehow related to the absence of audio.  I've also run "mythfrontend -v audio" and didn't notice anything, but am including some of the output for completeness.

adding pes stream at pid 0x11 with type 2
adding pes stream at pid 0x14 with type 129
Stream #1 (audio track #1) is an audio stream with 2 channels.
Auto-selecting audio track #1 (stream #1).
It has 2 channels and we needed at least 2
Initializing audio parms from stream #0.
Killing AudioOutputDSP
Opening audio device 'default'.
Opening ARTS audio device ''.
Audio fragment size: 0
Ending reconfigure
kickoffOutputAudioLoop: pid = 16256
OutputAudioLoop: audio paused
Using realtime priority.
65536 bytes free on soundcard

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions, I would be most grateful and would even consider naming my next-born myth box after you or something like that.data lost!" message which I would guess is somehow related to the absence of audio.  I've also run "mythfrontend -v audio" and didn't notice anything, but am including some of the output for completeness.