[mythtv-users] Changing Channels

Jeff Artz junk_inbox at comcast.net
Thu Jan 6 23:11:14 EST 2005

I've got two older DishPlayer 7200's with upgraded HDD's (one is 120GB
[~100hrs recording], the other just 30GB [~27 hrs recording]).  Browsing
channels by going up & down with the remote is pretty useless -- it takes at
least 2 or 3 seconds (sometimes longer) for the channel to sync up and start
to display.  Once I got used to using the 'Listings' to see what's on, it
was never an issue...  There's no need for 'channel surfing' when you have
an interactive program guide!  (That's just my opinion, but many on this
group have expressed the same...)

My DP is always buffering the signal, even if watching 'live', pretty much
exactly like MythTV (except that it doesn't have to encode the video -- it's
already MPEG2 straight off the satellite).  So the DP just has to buffer it
to disk and decode it.

So why am I 'switching' to MythTV?   Well, here's a list:
   1) I can have any 'tv' in the house watch any channel on the Satellite,
without having to have a seperate Satellite box for each tv. (assuming I've
got a frontend setup at every TV/Monitor)
   2) Any recordings on MythTV can be watched from any frontend -- Right now
I've got two DP 7100 PVR's, but the recordings can only be watched on the
PVR that they were recorded on.  (unless I rip them to the PC and burn
DVD's, which I do from time to time!  ;-) )
   3) I've got a few old 500 to 750mhz pc's around to build frontends from
thanks to my employer updating to new PC's... ;-)
   4) I've always wanted to learn/play with Linux!
   5) Hey, I'm a technical computer geek...  I gotta have all sorts of neat
'toys'!!!  This is FUN!!!!!

Jeff