[mythtv-users] Tearing in playback

Stephen Williams stephen.gw at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 05:59:11 EST 2005

You don't state what your video card is, but I had a similar problem
using an MX440 with a VGA -> SCART adaptor.

The MX440 has two video out ports (I was using one to my TV thought
the VGA -> SCART and one to a standard monitor), it tunrs out the
refresh of the two displays were not in sync (even though they could
be, both were are at 50Hz) and the driver arbitrarily chose which
refresh signal to report back to X / Myth / Xine / whatever else might
be interested. It just happened that Myth was syncing to the monitor
refresh and not the TV refresh, thereby tearing the image on the TV.

If you have a similar setup then try disabling all over video outputs
except the TV and see if that fixes things. If not, then try running
Myth with verbose messages enabled and see which sync method it's
actually using. If you don't have an Nvidia card then you probably
want to make sure you're using the OpenGL sync method.

Steve