[mythtv-users] nVidia card choices, and processors for HDTV playback

Joe Barnhart joebarnhart at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 6 04:44:43 EST 2005

--- Brad Templeton <brad+myth at templetons.com> wrote:

> I guess we need to ask, who is driving their HDTV
> with DVI at 1080i from
> an Nvidia FX 5200?

I am.  I have a Pioneer PRO-610HD CRT based RPTV and
I'm driving it with an nVidia 5200 FX at 1080i.  The
TV only accepts this modeline on its VGA input.  CBS
and NBC broadcasts at 1080i look really good.  Smooth
motion (except for 3:2 pulldown judders).  ABC and FOX
at 720p look pretty bad.  Lots of motion and scaling
artifacts introduced by the conversion from 720p to
1080i.  Jaggies on diagonals are particularly bad.

I'm using an Intel 530 (3 GHz) processor, after
failing with Athlon XP 2500 and 2800 processors.  I
just threw money at it until it worked.

> Secondly, the theory is that before too long, MythTV
> will have nice
> support for xvmc.

I have not heard of anyone working on this.  It's a
known problem but not an easy one.