[mythtv-users] Front end hardware?

mythtv-users at fastdruid.co.uk mythtv-users at fastdruid.co.uk
Wed Jan 5 22:06:28 EST 2005

John wrote:

> > > Xbox is dead easy - no chip is required, just a USB cable, a USB
> > > flash key, and a specific game (depends on xbox release)
> - they will
> > > even do it for you at the linux xbox site.  Then it is
> simply a case
> > > of installing xebian, and doing and apt-get to grab myth
> - tweak 1
> > > file, and it works.
>
> Is XBox still usable as an Xbox for games after these tweaks?
> I've been wanting an XBox, but haven't had a good enough
> excuse. Having a front end and game console would be well worth it.

Yes and no, Depending on how exactly the bios is flashed.

If you go with the cromwell bios's[1] then no, if you go with some of
the
others then yes.

It is possible to do it in one of three ways:

1) Linux box, total drive used, no xbox games possible.
2) Linux in unused partion at end of drive (>8Gb drives), boot from CD
(or saved xbe to bootloader), games playable
3) Linux as a 2Gb file in the save game area, boot from CD (of saved xbe
to bootloader), games playable

At the moment I have one set up as in case 3 with a 250Gb drive,
unfortunatly as the backend is CVS and
the frontend erm isn't they don't talk to each other :-(

I'm trying (and failing atm[2]) to compile the cvs version for the xbox
at this very moment...

HTH

Druid

[1] Reverse engineered containing no MS source code.
[2] falling over with "/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lqt-mt" but can't
find some packages via apt so wont get them either.