[mythtv-users] Running MythTV in a car computer

Chuck Rice chuck at wildrice.com
Wed Jan 5 18:42:47 EST 2005

At 4:14 PM -0600 1/5/05, John Williams wrote:
>  > On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 11:37:01 -0800, Chuck Rice <chuck at wildrice.com> wrote:
>>  > At 2:28 PM -0500 1/5/05, Tom Dombrosky wrote:
>>  > >You won't be able to use the touchscreen with Mythtv.  It doesn't
>>  > >support a mouse at the moment.
>>  > >
>>  >
>>  > Why is that? Would mouse support be something difficult to add? -Chuck-
>>  >

>Are you looking to be able to play your TV files also? What would be a
>good way to duplicate files from the backend to the car PC for
>something like that? Anybody got any good ideas?

Wireless access point in the garage. A Magnetic antenna on the trunk
to a wireless card in the laptop.  The car could connect for the
night and update. A lot of GigaBytes to transfer, but it has all
night to do it. When done, it could shut itself down for the night.

>I'm guessing you would run this myth box as a back and frontend all in
>one. Then you would mount a network drive that holds the Tv files. You
>would have to run a script that duplicates the files then also enters
>the information into the database for these files. Does that sound
>about right. I could see this being a nice answer for my trips wit
>hthe kids. record a full day of Disney and transfer to the car.

That should not be too hard to set up. My kids are grown, so I really
only need the music but the ability to do Video is a nice plus.

With VNC and a wireless access point you could set it up from your
desk or even while watching MythTV in your living room. :) -Chuck-