[mythtv-users] Unexplainable high CPU while watching MPEG2 with NVidia TV-out

Doug Larrick doug at ties.org
Wed Jan 5 14:09:48 EST 2005

Thomas Börkel wrote:
> HI!
>
> Using NVidia 6629 TV-out with XV for playback in mythfrontend, I get:
>
> - 1% CPU for mythfrontend
> - 40% CPU for X
>
> But total CPU is at 80%, causing prebuffering pause every now and then
> (and all the time, if I enable kernel deint in addition).
>
> Strange is, I can't see any other process with "top", that takes the
> rest of the CPU (the other 40%).

[snip]

> Fecora Core 2, Kernel 2.6.9, Myth 0.16.

Kernel 2.6.x has changed the way the /proc filesystem reports CPU time,
such that 'top' does not see CPU time consumed by process threads of the
original program.

See e.g. http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=222817
(starting about halfway down) for some discussion; evidently 2.6.10
changes this behavior.

-Doug