[mythtv-users] OT: OTA digital channel numbers

Michael J. Lynch mlynch at gcom.com
Wed Jan 5 10:49:42 EST 2005

Let me preface this by saying I'm asking the question here because I'm
a mythTV user and there seems to an abundance of general technical
expertise available on this list.  I've been watching the "Re:
[mythtv-users]
More ATSC woes - Doug README - some    stations    now not being
received at all" thread the last few days between Doug Larrick and
John Roberts with some interest as it may have shed a bit of light on
a weird problem I see with my HD sat receiver (this is the OT part).

I'm having a strange problem that I now have a theory about what causes
it and am hoping someone can validate whether on not it is a valid
theory.  I've googled for the problem and found a few references with
no explinations or solutions.

I have a Samsung TS360 HD sat receiver for DirecTV.  This receiver
has inputs for Sat antenna, OTA antenna, and cable TV.  I can scan the
OTA antenna input and pick up all of the digital stations I would expect
to be able to.  Now here's the weird part, whenever the unit downloads
guide data (from sat) one of the OTA digital channels somehow gets
remapped to a different channel.  Specifically, WCIADT on frequency
48, subchannel 1 gets remapped to WCFNDT (frequency 53, subchannel
1).  If I set up the unit to NOT download guide information for the OTA
channels, 3.1 simply disappears altogether.  Both of these are really
annoying
because I have to rescan the OTA to get 3.1 remapped to 48.1.

Interestingly enough WCIA provides the transmission facilities for WCFN
from WCIA's tower and transmitters.  My theory is that there is an error
in the guide data being downloaded that causes this remapping to occur
but I'm not sure if mapping data is/would be sent as part of the guide
data.  Does anyone know if mapping information is generally sent?
Does this theory sound plausible and/or possible?  If so, does anyone
have any ideas about how I could isolate the source of the possibly
errant data?  As a side note, I am aquainted with the chief station engineer
for WCIA.  Is this issue something I should bounce off of him?

TIA for any info, thoughts, and/or comments.

--
Michael J. Lynch

What if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about -- author unknown