[mythtv-users] question

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Tue Jan 4 22:24:44 EST 2005

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 10:03:00PM -0500, Bryan Brannigan wrote:
> Linux is the operating system (or kernel) Debian is a distribution of
> that operating system.  I use Fedora Core 3 as my distribution and it
> work pretty well.  I wouldn't recommend Debian for a Linux newbie as
> it can get a little rough around the edges.

Actually, there are lots of debian derived distributions that are not
rough around the edges these days -- Knoppix, Knoppmyth, Ubuntu.  Even
Lindows/Linspire is debian based, though I don't know if its packages
are up to date (unstable) enough to do mythtv or not.

I will say though that I have been highly impressed with kudzu and the
Fedora Core process.  (There is a kudzu for debian I have not yet tried.)

In fact, I have found that once I made a working MytyTV system on FC3,
I have been able to simply take a copy of the hard disk, and drop it into
several different systems, sometimes completely different ones as long
as they aren't so spanking new as to not have drivers available.   You
boot it up, kudzu goes through the hardware detection game, and you're
running.

(The systems did have 2 things in common -- a WINTV-250 and some brand
of nvidia video card.  Otherwise they were quite different, ie. Pentium
to AMD, Intel chipset to VIA, different ethernet, different sound, etc.)

Well, you need a few tweaks -- change hostname, "fix" the way Kudzu
replaced your xorg.conf for your new video card, and then localize the
time zone and the mythtv parameters.

Pretty easy, actually.   It might do well for people, instead of following
the long path found in the Myth-tv-ology web page, to just get their
hands on a DVD of a system already built and ready with the common
cards.  Knoppmyth is sort of an effort to do something like that, of course.