[mythtv-users] Audio Sync when exporting to DVD using Nuvexport

Lane Schwartz dowobeha at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 13:03:56 EST 2005

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 16:31:26 +0000, Gary Dawes
<garydawes at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Having finally treat myself to a DVD burner for christmas, I have
> started exporting shows to DVD, but have found that the audio is ahead
> of the video by a small amount.
>
> I have searched the various wikis, and mailing lists, and have found
> various posts about this, but while different people have suggested
> different things, none of them have worked for me, and noone else with
> the problem has reported that they have solved the problem, and by what
> method.
>
> I'm running knoppmyth, with mythtv 0.16, and the latest versions of
> transcode mjpegtools available from apt. I'm also running the latest
> nuvexport (27/12).
>
> I've checked my audio recording settings and they are at 48khz
>
> I found one snippit of information which suggested running mpeg2desc -m
> on the .mpg file to determine the audio offset, and then using that
> information to reencode the file.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> Gary

Gary,

I've had this issue, too. In fact you probably ran across some of my
earlier posts in your research.

The only conclusion that I was able to come to is that there is a bug
in some ivtv versions which cause the mpeg files that are recorded to
have some flaw in them. I was always able to play the original
recordings with no sync issues. It was when I tried the mpg2->mpg2
cutting that I hit problems. I also hit the same problems with a
manual edit using avidemux and mplex.

After spending a good chunk of my Christmas vacation on it, I now have
a fully functional Myth box again. I can successfully export
recordings with no audio sync issues.

While I was debugging, I tried almost everything. I tried multiple
versions of avidemux, mjpegtools, even multiple versions of the
kernel. I tried ivtv 0.1.9 and 0.1.10 (100zz, I think). I tried FC2,
then back to FC1. Nothing worked.

Why does it work now? Well, I switched back to FC2. Then I used one of
the new 0.2 ivtv drivers. I think that's what did it. I can now
successfully export my _new_ recordings.

However, when I try to export any of the old recordings, I still get
audio sync issues. This fact makes me even more confident that the
problem lies in the ivtv driver.

I know this is a really frustrating problem. Try the new ivtv drivers
and see if that helps. I think they're in atrpms testing, so make sure
that's enabled (this is assuming you're running Fedora and using apt).

If you'd like I can get you the versions of all of the relevant
programs on my functional box.

Cheers,
Lane

--