[mythtv-users] Gentoo, kernel 2.6.9 and LIRC

Scott Alfter mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org
Tue Jan 4 12:28:14 EST 2005

On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 08:45:52AM -0500, Dennis B. Hopp wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-01-02 at 23:28 -0800, Scott Alfter wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 02, 2005 at 11:59:36PM -0500, Dennis B. Hopp wrote:
> > > I've searched the archvies and the forums at http://forums.gentoo.org
> > > and I'm having a hell of time getting the Gray remote that came with my
> > > PVR-250 working.
> > >
> > > I followed the instructions here:
> > >
> > > http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Setup_MythTV
> > >
> > > When I do a make menuconfig I do not have any option to enable Linux
> > > Infrared controller.  lircd is using /dev/lirc/0.  If I cat /dev/lirc/0
> > > and press buttons on the remote I get output on the screen (a bunch of
> > > garbage, but output none the less).  irw doesn't seem to do anything
> > > [snippage]
> >
> > If the gray remote that came with your PVR-250 is the same gray remote that
> > came with my PVR-350, your configuration is wrong.  (IIRC, I ran across one
> > or two bad config files before I found the correct one.) Here's what I'm
> > using:
> >
> > [more snippage]
>
> I put your config in and restarted lircd.  lircd is running but when I
> use irw I still get no output.  Is irw supposed to take any kind of
> command line option or something?

Check /etc/conf.d/lircd...by default, lircd is set to monitor /dev/lirc, not
/dev/lirc/0.  You might also try running lircd from the command line with -n
and see what messages it spits out when clients (such as irw) connect to it.

irw connects to /dev/lircd by default, but you can override that at the
command line.  By default, lircd listens to connections on /dev/lircd, so it
shouldn't be necessary to pass any arguments to irw.

  _/_