[mythtv-users] question on controlling a digital cable box

Evan Burrows eburrows at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 13:39:14 EST 2005

I know that if my cable box had a serial port I would be able to just
connect my myth box to the cable box and myth would do the rest in
terms of changing the channels.  But since mine does not have a serial
port I was looking into the options of building an ir transmitter or
simply buying one from irblaster.info which looks like a decent buy
and saves me the hassle of pulling out my soldering iron.

But my cable box does have a usb port (It is a scientic atlantic, i
forget the model, that I got through my cable provider (cox)).  Will
this channel changing function the same way if is use a usb male to
usb male bridge like this
(http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=12-156-002-03.jpg/12-156-002-04.jpg/12-156-002-01.jpg/12-156-002-02.jpg)?

Do I need any channel changing scripts or does myth automatically
detect it? Or does it even work at all? I planned on putting an order
into newegg anyways so I figured it this usb cable would work and I
didn't have to do anything on the myth end to have it change the
channels on my cable box that would be great!  I figure that I would
have more use for the usb cable in the future than the ir transmitter
anyways. If the usb option does work I will just end up buying the
transmitter from irblaster.info but I was hoping that I could just get
everything I needed in one order to newegg.

thanks,
Evan