[mythtv-users] Sound

gibman gibman at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 09:19:53 EST 2005

Hi all,

I can't get sound with Myth, and I can't watch live TV.  I assume I
can't watch live TV b/c of the sound problem, it seems to record fine
however (without sound, that is.)

I have an old PIII with an ISA card slot, which holds my
SoundBlaster16.  This card works fine under windows.  I'm currently
using Fedora Core 2, upgraded to current.  I have used Jarod's guide
as much as possible to get to this point
(http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fc2myth.php).

I have installed isapnp and pnpdump, dumped this to /etc/isapnp.conf,
rebooted, went in via alsamixer, set all the settings, including
setting the line-in to mute and capture (by pressing m and space
respectivley).  I can hear the sound via the tvtime app, when I switch
the line out from the card to the mic port, and unmute it, I can hear
sound good.  If I mute it, I can't hear it.  If I use line-in, I hear
the TV all the time, even when not using tvtime.

I'm then told/read somewhere that I should be able to

aplay /dev/dsp

and that has never worked.  Sometimes I will get a message that it's
so-and-so frequency at herz mono.  But I never hear anything.
Sometimes I get a broken stream, or an error at 1871.  These are all
very generic to me, and havn't yielded much.

I USED to get messages in myth gui that said "are you sure you want to
play this clip as you have no sound" (or something to that effect.)
Since I did these last few tweaks, that message has disappeared, but
still no sound.

I have three isa soundcards, only this one works.  The other two don't
ever register via pnpdump (no cards found).

I have a similar box that has on-board sound, and I have one open slot
for an actual PCI card.  however, if there was something simple out
there, I'd like to try that first.  Some of the other things I noticed
are:

1: Muted volumes (not me, I get sound, just not in myth or from aplay /dev/dsp)
2: install alsa-utils (As far as I can tell, I have most of the utils
as a lot of alsa is in the kernal, from what I gather.  I modprobed
several alsa utils, and they are all present)

Any help would be appreciated, I have reached the end of my rope!
-=J

--
6 gmail invites, email me for one.