[mythtv-users] Deafening loud high-pitched chirp noise on skip or jump

David George david at thegeorges.us
Mon Jan 3 07:51:34 EST 2005

On 1/2/2005 7:23 PM, Tim Berger wrote:

>I have audio working fine with exception for a very loud high-pitched chirp
>that sometimes happens when skip or jump is used on recordings or live tv.
>Enabling extra audio buffering has no effect.
>
>1) Please tell me I'm not the only one experiencing this problem.

You aren't.  Are you using ALSA or OSS?  If you are using ALSA what
device are you using (e.g. ALSA:spdif)?

>2) Is there a release, patch, or work-around for this?

I have this from time-to-time with ALSA:spdif when fast-forwarding or
rewinding (actually jump forward and jump backward).  It hasn't bothered
me enough to look at the code and find out what the problem is.  Most
likely it is some partial data in the soundbuffer when audio is
paused/unpaused during the fast-forward/rewind.

Actually, now that I think about this, I don't remember hearing this in
a while.  I am running CVS as of yesterday.  I will try to do some
ff/rew tonight and see if it still happens.  It may have been fixed with
the big audio update (search dev list archives for "big audio update").
--
David