[mythtv-users] Opinions on my hardware choices for a new PVR

Snoop Baron snoopbaron at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 20:32:12 EST 2005

I'm building my first home brew PVR as a gift for my parents. I've been
researching on the web for the right hardware and software for this PVR.
I'm definitely going to go with MythTV(KnoppMyth) for the software, but
I'm not as sure about the hardware. Here is what I currently have in mind:

Antec Overture case -- Should look good in the living room and is
supposed to be quiet

XP 2600+ stock cooling -- More than I need, I think, but I'll fine some
use for it :)

MSI K7N2 Delta2 Platinum nVidia nForce2  motherboard -- I'll be using
the onboard graphics, network and sound

2x256MB PC3200 DDR with heat spreaders (Kingston)

Seagate 160GB SATA -- I read that seagates drives are among the most quiet

NEC ND-3500A 16X/16 DVD dual layer rewritable drive -- Burning video for
later viewing outside of home, on laptop

Hauppauge PVR 350 -- for encoding and decoding

On my optional list I have:

Hauppauge PVR-250 -- for dual recording

Neatgear 54Mbps wireless card -- streaming video to other PCs?

Wireless keyboard and mouse -- For non-PVR uses, games, browsing the
web, etc? (Any recommendations?)

I considered going with a VIA M1000 but it seems like the software
support is not as good and/or trickier to setup. Plus there is less room
for expansion and performance might not be that good if I go outside the
PVR space (maybe add in some games for my little bro :) ).

Well what do you guys think?

Thanks!
Snoop