[mythtv-users] Remote Control confusion

MasterC MasterC at pauselivetv.com
Sat Jan 1 11:34:10 EST 2005

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 00:47:27 -0500 (EST)
"jds" <jds-myth at losdos.dyndns.org> wrote:

> "MasterC" writes:
> > 1.  I ran across a site today:  http://irblaster.info  And reading the
description truly confused me.  I have several "All in 1" remotes, ranging
from 8 device controls to 4.  If I were to purchase these
irblaster builds, and hook it to my mythboxes serial port, would I then
simply need to grab the lirc script pertaining to my particular remote and
place that in my mythtv users' home directory?  Or is this device for
something else?

> for a description of why you may need an IR blaster to contol an
external set top box (and how you implement the solution using LIRC), see
the introduction section of my IR blaster HOWTO:
> http://losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/mythtv-info/IR-BLASTER-HOWTO.html
or mirror:
> http://mirror.mmdsi.com/losdos.dyndns.org/public/mythtv-info/IR-BLASTER-HOWTO.html
>
> note that if (a) your cable setup does not require the use of an
external box  or (b) the channels that you want to record do not require
an external box, you may be able to use the tuner that came onboard your
capture card.  in this case, no IR blaster is required.  support for your
capture card tuner is dependent on modules/drivers external to mythtv but
intrinsic to it's operation (e.g. ivtv or bttv).

> > 2.  What functions/features do I lose (if any) by not having a
keyboard connected/controlling my mythbox?

> in most cases, none.  for example: i have a pvr350 in a small form
factor PC, and this box (combined frontend/backend) runs completely
headless (no keyboard, mouse, nor monitor).  i admin via mythweb and ssh.
n.b.: some older PC's are resistant to booting without attached
peripherals; generally this can be overcome in the BIOS setup but in some
cases it is necessary to purchase a "keyboard/mouse keeper", such as the
Raritan APKME.
> http://www.electronicsoutfitter.com/store/APKME.html
> http://www.kvmchoice.com/detail_switch.asp?id=884
>
> > 3.  I have been linked to BeyondTV's website while reading quite a few
of the posts on the list as well as other forums that discuss mythtv.  Is
that site a good place to go for commercial products that work well with
mythtv, such as the RJ6-RS232 connectors?

> what problem are you trying to solve?
>
> > My specs:
> > Standard, analog cableTV (Comcast Basic)
> > Nvidia Geforce4 MMX-440 128MB DDR with TV/Out
> > Tuner 1: BT878 (WinTV GO!)
> > Tuner 2: Philips SAA7130
>
> jds

Thank you for the replies!

I have no external box to change my channels, it's all done through the
TV, or MythTV.

But the tuner I have doesn't come with a remote control feature, it's a
plain capture card and that's it (the philips does, and I'll toy with that
later, but on various other boxes I'm tinkering with, they just have the
basic capture card).  I was curious if the IRBlaster would give me a
generic receiver to my MythBox that I can control with a (supported)
remote control via LIRC?

The last part of my message was just a generic one for various problems
one might run into, the latest reason was the cable to connect an DirecTV
RCA receiver to MythTV, and found a link to the accessories page on
BeyondTV.  I've also been linked there for the IRBlaster from several
messages on the list and other forums.  I don't have any external box, but
if I were to get one, I'd like to know how to hook it up, so I'm just
checkin out everything ;)

Thanks again for the reply!

Just to re-itterate:
I'm wondering if I were to get the IRBlaster from www.irblaster.info would
I then be able to use a remote to control MythTV (I have no external box)
with one of my 4-in-1 remotes (supported by LIRC).

Thanks!

Chad

--
Q:  How many IBM CPU's does it take to execute a job?
A:  Four; three to hold it down, and one to rip its head off.