Progessive PAL (was Re: [mythtv-users] TV Output)

Julian Edwards ed at julian-edwards.com
Sat Jan 1 10:03:45 EST 2005

 >> >ModeLine "720x576pali" 13.875 720 744 808 888 576 581 586 625 -hsync
 >> >-vsync interlace
 >>
 >> I don't suppose you have a simliar spec for a progressive PAL image do
 >> you? (I have the Key Digital VGA to Component adapter)
 >>
 >> I generated one based off a Powerstrip mode to get 1024x576 which gives
 >> an awesome picture, but I'm not sure whether it's entirely in spec as
 >> the *TV*'s input identifier is flashing in the corner, which apart from
 >> being really annoying probably means that the signal is not entirely in
 >> spec. (The *TV*'s a Panasonic 36PD30 if it makes any difference)
 >
 >Progressive PAL is exactly the same as regular PAL, but you need to drop
 >the "interlace" in that line. Simple as that.
 >
 >Kind regards,
 >
 >Mark Wormgoor

Hi

Just got back after the Christmas break and took a look at this.  The
problem with your suggestion is that the frame rate goes down to 25Hz,
which the TV will not scan.

I did a little research some time ago and I don't think there's an
"official" progressive PAL specification but what I found indicates that
the horizontal frequency increases from 15.625kHz to 31.25kHz - ie. it
doubles.

The mode I mentioned above does indeed result in a 31.25 horizontal
frequency and thus a 50Hz frame rate:
        Modeline "1024x576p" 43.500 1024 1128 1232 1392 576 577 580 625
-hsync -vsync

(In case anyone's wondering, I do have a bunch of 720x576p modelines as
well but absolutely none of them work, hence the choice of horizontal
resolution.)

I tried your interlaced PAL modeline on my TV and it produces a fine
picture but I still get my problem with the flashing input identifier.
When using the interlaced component output from the DVD player it's not
there so I think I've got a problem with the Key Digital converter
somewhere, maybe with the sync signal.  :(

Is anyone else in PAL land using one of these converters with a
Panasonic TV?

J.