[mythtv-users] Re: Torrentocracy Patch against Mythtv-cvs

Gary Lerhaupt lerhaupt at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 22:16:56 UTC 2005

"The developers and much of the myth community have made it clear that
torrents are NOT supported, not least because we want the machines and
the project that we spent so much time working on to remain to
free of legal burdens."

This is really truly such an unfortunate attitude.  I really
appreciate this patch.  Many other myth users including yourself I'm
sure appreciate this patch.  Bit torrent is not illegal technology.
No lawyer has yet to go after Bram Cohen.  No lawyer has yet to go
after me.  In fact, I don't think you could ask for a better
poster-child for the legal torrent community as the maintainer of this
project than myself (well, maybe Bram Cohen or the etree.org people)
and what I have done with prodigem.com (a bit torrent hosting service
for legal creative commons content).  To avoid the controversy of even
discussing the words torrent and Myth in the same sentence is
kow-towing to the MPAA and is a little spineless.

Go take a look at the frontpage of lokitorrent.com.  Hoax or not, it
says it all:  There are websites that provide legal downloads. This is
not one of them.

Well, I run one of "them".  Others run "them" too.  There's lots of
good legal stuff out there and to not even tolerate discussion out of
fear is silly.  Sure you can say that I can create my own mailing list
and perhaps I should, but it's really too bad that the same base group
of people can't make use of existing resources to discuss relavant
software.

Gary