[mythtv-users] DPMS monitor standby/resume

Gayle gayle at anothercrap.com
Sun Feb 27 20:12:59 UTC 2005

On Sunday 27 February 2005 19:36, Stephen Boddy wrote:
> On Sunday 27 February 2005 19:12, Gayle wrote:
> > My Myth box runs 24/7 so I don't want to power it off when I stop
> > watching TV/whatever so I have irexec running in the background with the
> > power button mapped to "/usr/X11R6/bin/xset dpms force off" in order to
> > send the monitor to sleep.  However, I can only bring it back to life
> > again by pressing a key or moving the mouse.  Does anyone know of a
> > little program that toggles the monitor on/off instead of setting an
> > absolute value?
>
> Write a script to grep the output from "xset q" output, and run the same
> command with the appropriate on/off argument. Unfortunately "force on"
> doesn't seem to work for me :-(

Ok, thanks for that.  This almost does the trick...

if xset q|grep -q "Monitor is On"
then
        xset dpms force off
else
        xset dpms force on
fi

The only niggle I have now is that the screen is blank when it comes back on,
I have to press another button to make X appear.  Time to go digging for
whatever does that and make it stop...