[mythtv-users] LAN bandwidth consumption

James C. Dastrup jc at dastrup.com
Sat Dec 31 18:23:58 EST 2005

I have MRTG running on my network and I can easily see how much bandwidth is used on all my computers, backends, frontends, etc. In regards to just network bandwdith (ignoring any other limitations - CPU, HDD speed, other network traffic, etc), over a 100Mbit network:

1080i HD content uses a good 19 Mbit/sec.  So, I bet you could easily get 3 frontends showing HD content from one backend.  A fourth would bring it to 76 Mbit/sec, which would be pushing it, but maybe would work.

SD content is up to 6 Mbit/sec, so theoretically you could have over 10 frontends pulling content from the same backend. But for some reason I find that unlikely due to other factors, but I don't know.