[mythtv-users] starting X on tv-out from Hauppauge pvr-350

Matt Price matt.price at utoronto.ca
Sat Dec 31 13:21:28 EST 2005

hello folks,

apologies for the cross-posting, I'm not exctly sure where this
question belongs.

I am trying to get a mythtv setup working under ubuntu breezy, using a
hauppauge pvr-350 as my capture card; other hardware is old generic dell
pentium-III -- may well move to something more substantial if I can
get the system working otherwise.

Following instructions from varioys places
(http://www.willmer.com/kb/2005/04/x-out-on-a-pvr-350/,
http://www.quietglow.com/docs/ubuntumythtv.html especially) I have had
moderate success:  ivtv modules load fine, I can watch tv on a monitor
using mythtv, and using
 dd if=/dev/video0 of=/dev/video16 bs=64k
I can see television on the tv using the pvr-350's tv-out.

so all of that's gret.  However I would like to use this system
exclusively from the tv, andi n order to do that I need to set up an
xserver on the tv.  I feel like I'm getting close, having conquered
several problems already, but I'ver run up against something I've
never understood, related to the framebuffer.

I have the following in xorg.conf:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Hauppauge PVR350"
Driver "ivtvdev"
Option "fbdev" "/dev/fb1"
# Option "fbdev" "/dev/fb0"
BusID "0:13:0" # this is the PCI ID you got earlier.
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "TV"
Device "Hauppauge PVR350"
Monitor "NTSC Monitor"
DefaultDepth 24
DefaultFbbpp 32
Subsection "Display"
Depth 24
FbBpp 32
EndSubsection
EndSection

---------------------------------------
obviously lots of stuff is snipped out, and you can see I'm
alternating on t he /dev/fb line (/dev/fb0 vs //dev/fb1)

the problems with xorg seem to relate to this line.  Everythign works fine --
drivers load etc -- until this point:

(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/input/mouse_drv.o
(II) Module mouse: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
        Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
        ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 0.4
(II) IVTVDEV_TST: driver for framebuffer: PVR-350
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 01:00:0
(--) Chipset PVR-350 found
(EE) open /dev/fb1: No such file or directory
(EE) Screen 0 deleted because of no matching config section.
(II) UnloadModule: "ivtvdev"
(EE) Device(s) detected, but none match those in the config file.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

I notice that the "Primary Device" listed here is my onboard video
card, not the pvr-350; not sure why that information comes up, and
also not sure it's relevant.  Also, I checked for /dev/fb1 and in fact
there is no such file.  so I tried changing that line to /dev/fb0,
which does exist, and got this instead:

(II) IVTVDEV_TST: driver for framebuffer: PVR-350
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 01:00:0
(--) Chipset PVR-350 found
(EE) ivtvHWProvbe failed to do IVTVFB_IOCTL_GET_STATE for device
/dev/fb0
(EE) Screen 0 deleted because of no matching config section.
(II) UnloadModule: "ivtvdev"
(EE) Device(s) detected, but none match those in the config file.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

Since I still, after several years, don't really understand the
framebuffer, I feel stumped.  Can anyone tell me how I ought to
investigate further?

thank,

matt

Matt Price	    matt.price at utoronto.ca
History Department, University of Toronto
(416) 978-2094