[mythtv-users] Re: New PVR-150, apt-get problems from atrpms

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Dec 30 16:27:03 EST 2005

On Fri, Dec 30, 2005 at 11:17:16AM -0600, Chris Hoff wrote:
> I got a PVR-150 for Christmas and I'm looking to install it alongside
> my PVR-250.  My MythTV system is FC3 and was built about a year ago.
> I haven't really updated anything other than Myth since I got it
> working.  I knew I would have to update the ivtv drivers at the very
> least, so I decided to do a dist-upgrade before installing the card
> and make sure everything is still working.  It needed to download a
> bunch of packages, so I let it run overnight.  This morning, it was
> stuck about halfway through installing the packages.  The system
> wasn't locked, apt-get just wasn't responding.  After giving it a long
> time, I killed apt-get and tried to rerun dist-upgrade.  Now I am
> getting conflicts:
>

> # apt-get update
> Get:1 http://dl.atrpms.net fc3-i386/atrpms release [890B]
> Get:2 http://ayo.freshrpms.net fedora/linux/3/i386 release [2137B]
> Get:3 http://dl.atrpms.net fc3-i386/redhat release [1183B]
> Fetched 4210B in 1s (2910B/s)
> Hit http://ayo.freshrpms.net fedora/linux/3/i386/core pkglist
> Hit http://ayo.freshrpms.net fedora/linux/3/i386/core release
> Hit http://ayo.freshrpms.net fedora/linux/3/i386/updates pkglist
> Hit http://ayo.freshrpms.net fedora/linux/3/i386/updates release
> Hit http://ayo.freshrpms.net fedora/linux/3/i386/freshrpms pkglist
> Hit http://ayo.freshrpms.net fedora/linux/3/i386/freshrpms release
> Hit http://dl.atrpms.net fc3-i386/atrpms/stable pkglist
> Hit http://dl.atrpms.net fc3-i386/atrpms/stable release
> Hit http://dl.atrpms.net fc3-i386/redhat/release pkglist
> Hit http://dl.atrpms.net fc3-i386/redhat/release release
> Hit http://dl.atrpms.net fc3-i386/redhat/updates pkglist
> Hit http://dl.atrpms.net fc3-i386/redhat/updates release
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
>
> # apt-get dist-upgrade -V
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> You might want to run `apt-get --fix-broken install' to correct these.
>   glibc-common#2.3.3-74: Conflicts: glibc (> 2.3.3)
>   glibc-common#2.3.6-0.fc3.1: Conflicts: glibc (< 2.3.6)
>   libid3tag#0.15.1b-3.1.fc3.fr: Conflicts: libmad (< 0.15.1b)
>   libtool-ltdl: Obsoletes: libtool-libs
> E: Unmet dependencies. Try using --fix-broken.
>

> At this point, I tried --fix-broken but it gave me a long list of
> packages that would be removed including some "essential" packages as
> it called them.  It said I should only proceed if I really know what
> I'm doing, which I don't, so I didn't.
>
> Any ideas?
> I can provide the output of # apt-get --fix-broken install -V if it
> would be helpful.

Hm, the glibc stuff doesn't look good. rpm -q glibc glibc-common will
show multiple installed versions of the same package.

I'd try installing smart and use

smart fix

instead. That should have a better chance of fixing your system.

You can also manually download the latest glibc packages and use

rpm -Uhv --oldpackages glibc*

glibc's double existence is the what makes apt-get -f install try to
remove half your system. So if you get this fixed apt will be in the
game again.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net