[mythtv-users] ALSA and real AC3 passthrough

Lee Koloszyc teething12 at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 30 08:16:09 EST 2005

Petr Stehlik wrote:

> But does it allow for AC3 passthrough at the same time? Do you have some
> AC3 sound source? Have you tried say HD DVB-S or perhaps DVD replayed
> via the internal Myth DVD player (I guess that one would use the AC3
> passthrough but I use xine so I don't know).

If I am not misunderstanding you, yes dmix allows for anything to be
sent through the spdif connection.  Myth TV uses mplayer/xine to play
DVD's depending how you set it up. I am using xine for mine as I like
having the menus.  It plays both DTS/DD and works well. Occasionly I run
into a DVD where it switches from stereo to DTS/DD and it causes Xine to
say the Audio Card is in use, so I am not sure if you can be playing an
MP3 or something at the same time as running a AC3 soundtrack from a
movie, I can try that this weekend.  It surely can play multiple
MP3s/MythTV recording at the same time over SPDIF though.

Lee