[mythtv-users] pvr-350 Live Tv Audio to remote frontend Question

Jim Duda jim at duda.tzo.com
Thu Dec 29 17:59:24 EST 2005

Jeff,

Thanks for the response.

Results of my testing.

If I choose "Watch Videos" and play something which was recorded outside
of MythTV, the video plays properly.  These videos are those previously
recorded by Freevo.

If I choose "Watch Recordings" and play something which was recorded by
MythTV, I get the video, but no audio.

If I play the "nuv" file outside of MythTV, using VLC, I get Video and
Audio.  As such, the conclusion is that the nuv (mpeg) is complete as
recorded by MythTV.

I get different log file results when playing "Watch Videos" vs "Watch
Recordings".  There is less information with "Watch Recordings".

There is something different concerning how MythTV plays recordings done
outside of MythTV as compared to those inside MythTV, but I cannot
figure it out.
I suspect this might have something to do with the alsa interface.
Maybe I have a permissions issue with sound?  I'm running myfrontend
using the same user login which I use to play the videos with VLC.  I
don't use root ... does mythfrontend run as user "mythtv"?  Is so, it
doesn't explain why I can get audio for recordings outside of MythTV,
when playing within MythTV itself.

I cannot find the setting which allows me to control the PVR-350 audio
output.  I looked in the setup pages of both the backend and frontend,
but I cannot find the switch.  I have my frontend setup defined to use
/dev/dsp, which is the default.  In general, I tried to simply select
the defaults.

If I attempt to play the "nuv" file, recorded by MythTV in the "Watch
Recordings" options, the video won't play, however, the other videos
recorded outside of MythTV will play.  I don't know if this is a clue to
anyone who might help me.

I did find an old .mplayer directory in my $HOME account, which I
deleted and allowed mplayer to recreate, but no change in behavior.

I'm puzzled; and very new to MythTV, thanks for you patience.

Jim